Beginning in 1658, Imperial Magischola of Massachusetts Bay was divided into four residential colleges, or Courts. These Courts were named for classical magicians of antiquity and the Renaissance, reflecting four schools of magic and the values and specialties of the Court’s founders, who were Imperial faculty. The four Courts are:
Agrippa: founded by Vitruvius H. P. Steinkraft, named for Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa von Nettesheim, a German polymath, physician, legal scholar, soldier, theologian, and occult writer.
Callimachus: founded by Maestro-Wizard Firenzum Edward Smith Radcliffe Zephyrous, named for the poet, scholar, and critic at the Great Library of Alexandria in the third century BCE.
Paracelsus: founded by Isaac de Lucena, named for Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim, a Swiss doctor, alchemist, and astrologer.
Ptolemy: founded by Thomas Woodhouse, named for Ptolemy of Alexandria, a foundational scholar in the European study of Arithmancy, divination, and astronomy.
Much like Oxford or Yale, students are admitted into one of the four Courts, and are housed, eat their meals, and take classes with their fellow Court members. Each Court has a program of study, leading to a magical specialty. There is overlap in the Curriculum, with members of multiple Courts taking some foundational classes together (e.g. Alchemy with Paracelsians and Callimachans).